Saturday, January 14, 2012

How to Climb a Coconut Tree

It all started with a coconut break. During one of the hottest and dustiest days on the construction of the wall, the construction guys took a break. One of the guys disappeared into the jungle and came out with 3 to 4 coconuts. With a couple of whacks of the machete, he carved up the coconuts, put holes in them for drinking, and shared them with us.

So how do you climb a coconut tree? Later that day, I tried the brute force method. I selected a small, easy tree away from the crowd to minimize potential for humiliation. Walked around it. Stared at it. Walked around it some more. I bucked up my courage, grabbed the tree, and started scooting up the tree. After about 7 feet up, a bunch of people started hoopin' and hollerin'. The Haitian group had gathered during my distraction with the tree to lend their support and encouragement, but also to be entertained. With the 'road rash' developing on my arms, that was enough of a spectacle for one day.

I shared this story with John and he described the straps he saw someone use to climb a coconut tree. Ah.

The next day, I fashioned some straps and headed for the nearest tree. After scooting up 20 feet, I convinced myself that this is the way to climb a coconut tree. The straps made it easier but it was no picnic. It still took me 20 minutes to catch my breath after inching my way down.

Like other things in Haiti, it isn't as easy as it looks, but you can do a lot with a little teamwork and encouragement. Thanks for all the support and encouragement.
jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment